Welcome to Thursday, a day that once seemed lost, with nothing exciting happening anywhere. But then that changed, and today I am celebrating a couple of the bookish events around the blogosphere, like Lexxie’s Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts; and Christine’s Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts.
I missed last Thursday due to laziness. So today I’m eager to be back, sharing a foodie excerpt. The book is In Twenty Years, by Allison Winn Scotch (click for my review).
The characters have returned for a reunion years after they roomed together in college; they meet up in the same old house they shared in Philadelphia. They are trying out experiences they had back then, including their love of junk food:
They walk to Wawa for coffee and convenience-store doughnuts because that’s what they ate back then, when no one had heard of organic food, and their bodies could handle a diet of minimal-to-zero nutrients. (Not Annie, though—she usually took a bite to be polite, then stuffed the rest in a wadded-up napkin.)
Owen orders a breakfast burrito at Taco Bell Express, just like he used to, and Catherine sighs because his digestive system at forty is not what it was at twenty. At twenty, it wasn’t even all that good.
“Hey,” he shrugs. “A college morning isn’t complete without a breakfast burrito.”
“This isn’t a college morning,” Catherine reminds him.
“You’re being technical.”
Ugh, my digestive system is protesting!
- What a week! It flew by, but there was something to do everyday, from tedious errands to more interesting events.
- Yesterday I had lunch with a friend/colleague; it was a birthday treat for me, but we get together monthly to chat and catch up.
- I’m tired of the election drama, and so ready to be over it all…but only if it turns out right!
- I got some of my birthday loot from my Amazon gift card on Tuesday…and here’s what it looked like (I got the two hardcover books in the foreground, and the watch):
- I posted about these goodies and a few other things in Hump Day “Coffee Morning:” Birthdays & Halloween.
- As usual, I had no Trick or Treaters knocking on my door Halloween night.
- I just finished reading Saturday Requiem on Monday…and loved it. (Click to see my review).
- Last night I finally finished In Twenty Years, by Allison Winn Scotch (featured above).
- I’m getting ready to start reading The Last Good Girl, by Allison Leotta; it’s the fifth in the series, and I haven’t read any of the others…but I’m going to wing it.
- On Netflix, I watched all of Season 3 of The Fall. (There were only 6 episodes, but they were so intense!).
- I think I’m talked out for now, so off to have my FIRST cup of coffee…how have I done this without it?
Come on by and let’s chat!