Welcome to Thursday, a day that once seemed lost, with nothing exciting happening anywhere. But then that changed, and today I am celebrating a couple of the bookish events around the blogosphere, like Lexxie’s Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts; and Christine’s Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts.
Today’s feature is Sunshine Beach, by Wendy Wax, the fourth book in the Ten Beach Road series, which follows the three women who have found a new life after losing their money in a Ponzi scheme…and that new life is all about renovating houses in Florida.
The three women (Maddie, Nikki, & Avery) are currently staying in Bella Flora, the first home they renovated, purchased for Maddie’s daughter Kyra and her son Dustin, by her ex-boyfriend, a celebrity. Their next project is an old mid-century hotel on the beach. Getting ready for the day, they are planning breakfast, when Maddie’s ex heads across the lawn to the main house. He had dropped in the night before.
“You aren’t going to feed him again, are you?” Nikki asked as they watched Steve amble toward the house. Once you fed a stray they never left.
“I’m not going to cook especially for him, no,” Maddie said as Steve disappeared through Bella Flora’s back door. “But if I’m putting breakfast on the table, which I am, I’m not going to tell him he can’t have any.” She smiled and stood. “Speaking of which, I think it’s time to get things under way.”
“Geema!” Nikki watched Dustin’s face light up when his grandmother entered the kitchen and felt the oddest tug. Steve Singer looked pretty happy to see her, too, or maybe he was just hungry. “Can Dustbin have Mench boast?”
“Absolutely!” Maddie beamed at her grandson. “Do you want to help?”
Within moments Maddie had whisked eggs and milk in a big bowl, heated up fry pans and a griddle, and was helping Dustin, who stood on a chair beside her, to dip the pieces of bread into the egg mixture. Syrup was put in the microwave to warm. Kyra set the table while Nikki set out cartons of milk and orange juice, her stomach turning over at the smells that filled the kitchen.
Hmm, I wonder what’s up with Nikki and her “upset” tummy? More later, I’m sure.
- Last week was all about Bloggiesta (click for my wrap-up post), which I enjoyed thoroughly. I love doing the new layouts, headers, and tweaking the pages…I seldom do anything too techie. Someday, maybe.
- Tomorrow, Longmire’s fifth season is coming to Netflix! Yay!
- In the interim period, I’ve been enjoying Offspring, and I’m now on Season 5 (there is one more season!).
- Tonight the TGIT lineup arrives with the new season for Grey’s Anatomy & How To Get Away with Murder, along with a new show, Notorious. The DVR is set!
- Sunday, Secrets & Lies returns, and I’ll try to “stomach” Juliette Lewis’s very annoying cop character. lol.
- I read that the Showtime series, The Affair, is coming back on November 20.
- So….the fall is full of stuff to watch.
- I’m eager to get a Pumpkin Spiced Latte at the neighborhood Barnes & Noble...and browse for books. Love going there and finding stuff, even though I only ever buy print books from the bargain table. There’s something about being surrounded by books, while inhaling the scent of rich coffee.
- Now…here I am, writing this post, and haven’t yet had my first cup of coffee! What’s wrong with me?! Excuse me for a moment….Now, here’s the breakfast tray on my office coffee table/trunk, surrounded by stacks of books.
That’s it for today…I am ready to eat that Special K with Coconut, Quinoa, etc. And sip that coffee. Enjoy your day!