Welcome to Thursday, a day that once seemed lost, with nothing exciting happening anywhere. But then that changed, and today I am celebrating a couple of the bookish events around the blogosphere, like Lexxie’s Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts; and Christine’s Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts.
When Ava’s husband Jim left her for another woman, she decides to try to restart her life, which includes joining a book group. At the first meeting, Ava approaches the wine and cheese table.
The book group ladies were at that table, plastic glasses of wine in their hands, munching on Camembert and grapes.
Relax, Ava told herself. She took a deep breath and went to join them.
As soon as Ava got a glass of wine, a slender, ancient blonde in a beige Chanel suit came up to her and said, “Are you the one taking Paula’s spot, (in the book club) Cate’s friend?”
“I am,” Ava said.
“Glad to have you. I’m Penny Frost, the grande dame here. Which just means I’m older than everyone else.”
The Providence book group sounds good to me, as their plan for the year is for each member to pick the book that mattered most to them in their life.
The wine and cheese sound pretty good, too.
My Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts this week:
- The week has been one of great reading, with two books read and reviewed so far. (Click titles for reviews). The Excellent Lombards, by Jane Hamilton, was not my favorite from this author, but it was still a good read. Behind Closed Doors, by B. A. Paris was truly a riveting read.
- Currently I’m reading The Book That Matters Most, by Ann Hood, excerpted above.
- The rest of the week has been busy with errands, and I also took a little break for dinner earlier tonight, at the neighborhood Marie Callender’s.
- My youngest son’s birthday was today. However, we just texted, as we had our celebratory dinner earlier in the month. He sent me some gorgeous photos of the beach where they kicked back to relax. His wife is pictured below:
- A couple of nights ago, I rearranged the dolls in my bedroom, the ones on a couple of the shelves. Just so the oscillating fan wouldn’t blow the hair of the hippie dolls…yes, silly, right?
- Check out my post My Interior World: Books, Dolls, Etc. Here is a stack of print books I’ve purchased recently.
- I am on the final season of Doc Martin, on Netflix, and I’m hoping to find another show to binge-watch when that one is done.
- I also have some shows to watch on my DVR. Has anyone been watching Guilt? The Monday night episode had a startling end, and I suspect it will not resume until next summer.
That’s my week…what has yours been like so far?