Welcome to Thursday, a day that once seemed lost, with nothing exciting happening anywhere. But then that changed, and today I am celebrating some of the bookish events around the blogosphere, like Lexxie’s Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts; Kimberlyfaye’s TBR Thursday; and Christine’s Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts.
Today’s featured TBR book has been on my stacks since April 2014: Everyone Worth Knowing, by Lauren Weisberger.
Our MC, Bette Robinson, has a standard dinner date every Thursday with her Uncle Will and Simon:
“Productive day?” Simon asked Will, kissing him on the cheek in greeting. He had showered and changed into a pair Hefesque linen pajamas and was holding a glass of champagne.
“Of course not,” Will responded, setting aside his dirty martini and pouring two more glasses of champagne. He handed one to me. “Deadline’s not until midnight; why would I do a damn thing until ten o’clock tonight? What are we celebrating?”
I dug into my Gorgonzola salad, grateful to be eating something that hadn’t originated in a street cart, and took a gulp of champagne….
The salad sounds good…and so does the champagne!
Here’s the blurb for this book that was published in 2005:
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A GIRL ON THE FRINGE ENTERS THE REALM OF NEW YORK’S CHIC, PARTY-HOPPING ELITE?
Soon after Bette Robinson quits her horrendous Manhattan banking job like the impulsive girl she’s never been, the novelty of walking her four-pound dog around her unglamorous Murray Hill neighborhood wears as thin as the “What are you going to do with your life?” phone calls from her parents. Then Bette meets Kelly, head of Manhattan’s hottest PR firm, and suddenly she has a brand-new job where the primary requirement is to see and be seen inside the VIP rooms of the city’s most exclusive nightclubs. But when Bette begins appearing in a vicious new gossip column, she realizes that the line between her personal and professional life is…invisible.
What do you think? Should I grab this one off the stacks and read it now? Or donate it to the library?
- Reading has been great this week! I read and reviewed two books so far: Lies & Other Acts of Love (click for review), and Don’t You Cry (click for review);
- I’ve been binge-watching on Netflix and watching Amazon Prime videos again this week. Finished two seasons of The Newsroom and resumed watching Happy Valley on Netflix;
- Because my only Blu-Ray player for watching these shows is in my living room, I decided to set things up so I can attach my laptop to an HDMI cable in my bedroom for lazing about in there, too. I had to move the furniture around a bit. The round table (for the laptop) came from the living room, and the chest from the opposite side of the room. The stacks of DVDs on the chest need to be moved back to the main shelves, but these are ones I planned to watch in the bedroom (in the near future). The TV has a DVD player. As you can tell, I’m a bit obsessed about my movies and shows;
- Here are the main DVD shelves, where I’ll return the stacks once I’ve watched the movies;
- Below is the opposite side of the room, where I stashed the table that once stood by the TV;
That’s my week…what was yours like? I hope you’ll stop by and chat, leaving your links!